Thursday, June 27, 2013

Anthropologie Creation



I was looking for cute mirrors to hang in my daughters room. I found these cute log mirrors on the Anthropologie Website. Perfect mirrors to buy, until I saw the price 2,000 dollars.

Small town connections

In Heber, we found a log yard and had them cut (chainsaw) logs into 3 inch circles. The circles were way to thick so we found a cabinet maker in town who cut down another inch to the circle log. 

NOTE *Take full log to cabinet maker. Makes better cuts and looks better. And Cabinet maker won't cut fingers off trying to cut a 3 inch log circles on machine. 
   

 *Sanded circles with a high grit sandpaper.



 The log yard worker suggested the finish spray to use. I believe it's a polyurethane that prevents yellowing.  

*DEFT clear finish spray- Satin


Sprayed logs on both sides. I spayed them 3 times on both sides letting them dry 1 hours in between spays.



 My cousin and I ran to Michaels craft store and found the mirrors to place in the middle of the circle logs. I was thinking I would have to custom cut the mirrors, but Michaels had the perfect circle mirrors for a very very low price! 

*Make sure you pick logs that will work with the mirror sizes at Michaels.






 The cabinet maker suggested a mirror glue. He picked it up for me. But this is the product I used.

 *Gunther Ultrabond Mirror Mastic 




I let the glue dry over night.

Top- Anthropologie $2,000
Bottom- Laura creation $150.00

Pics from I-phone.

1 comment:

Jon said...

umm, yeah, those mirrors are actually cool.